Soy Glazed Tofu with Mushrooms & Lotus Chips
Updated: Sep 8, 2020
1 14-oz. block Extra-Firm Tofu
1lb Shiitake/Oyster mushrooms, stems trimmed
1 bunch Scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
2" piece Ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
1/2 a Serrano Chile, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
2 tsp. Toasted Sesame Oil
1 Lime, halved
Lotus Root, sliced into 1/4" slices
1. Cut block of tofu into 3 or 4 strips crosswise, then cut each piece crosswise again to make 9-12 pieces. Cover with paper towels & put on a plate or large bowl. Put a plate on top of the tofu & add more weight. Try to get out as much moisture as possible (15-20 minutes) .
2. Heat 2-3 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering and easily slides across surface of pan, cook tofu, undisturbed, until golden brown underneath, about 4 minutes per side. Onced browned on all sides, transfer tofu to a plate.
3. Add 2-3 Tbs oil into skillet and heat over medium-high until shimmering. Add mushrooms to pan and cook, undisturbed, until crisp around the edges and browned underneath, about 4 minutes. Give mushrooms a toss and continue to cook, tossing often, until browned in most spots, about 4 minutes longer. Add tofu, scallions, ginger, chili, soy sauce, and sesame oil to pan. Season lightly with salt and cook, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and squeeze in lime juice.
1. Add enough oil to shallow frying pan to form a thin layer. Heat until shimmering & carefully add dried lotus root. Fry 3-4 minutes per side, until lightly browned.
2. Remove lotus root onto a paper towel, then put into a paper bag & add 1tsp salt & shake, empty bag into a dish & remove any excess salt.