Peach Cobbler with Nutmeg Sauce
Adapted from Edna Lewis’ The Taste of Country Cooking
2 cups flour
1/4 t salt
1/2 cup lard
1/2 cup water
1. Sift flour, add salt, add lard, mix with pastry blender until its fairly fine, sprinkle in cold water until it comes together. Mold into a ball, cover & let rest for 30 mins.
2. Grease a deep dish 9" pie pan. Cut dough in 2/3 / 1/3. Roll out the bigger portion to lay in the bottom of the pie pan. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Roll out the remaining 1/3 & cut into 1" strips. Lay between 2 pieces of silpat & refrigerate.
1. Peel & slice 8 ripe peaches.
2. Remove pie crust from fridge & add 1 Tb of sugar to bottom of dish. Add all of the peaches.
3. Add 3 Tbs of sugar to pie & dot 1/2 stick of butter around the top.
4. Interlace strips of pastry to make a lattice.
5. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 35-40 mins. Let cool before serving.
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
2 tsp corn starch
Pinch of salt
1 cup boiling water
1 piece of orange peel.
2 Tbs cognac.
1. Combine 1st 4 ingredients in a saucepan. Add boiling water & stir over medium heat until it is all disolved.
2. Let mixture boil gently for 6-8 mins. Let cool slightly.
3. Add cognac. Serve.