Not a Cheesecake, a Scalloped Potato, Leek, & Gruyere Cheese Cake, aka a Tater Torte
1. Peel 2lbs Yukon Gold potatoes.
Slice them 2mm thick. (I used a Cuisinart slicer attachment, but u can also use a mandolin).
2. Cut 3 leeks in half lengthwise, then wash well & slice thin. Sweat them for 5-10 mins in some butter & evoo. Remove from pan & save.
3. Add to same pan 1.5 cups of sour cream, 3/4 cup of milk, 3 chopped garlic cloves, & 3 bay leaves. Simmer for 5 mins. Remove bay leaves.
4. Butter a 10” cheesecake pan.
(Mine has a raised base, so it doesn’t leak, but a springform pan will do if it has a really tight seal).
5. Layer 1/3 potatoes, 1/3 leeks & 1/3 milk mixture. Repeat like a lasagna.
6. Grate 1/2 cup Gruyère cheese on top.
7. Cover & bake in a 350 deg oven for 45 mins. Remove lid & bake for 15-20 mins.
8. Finish under broiler if still not browned.
9. Let cool for 5-10 mins, slide a knife around edge & carefully pop open spring, remove & serve.
Let me know if u have questions.